Quality Catholic Education Since 1958
With the approval of His Grace, Most Reverend Archbishop Joseph P. Hurley, Bishop of the Diocese of St. Augustine, a twelve-acre tract was purchased on SE 12th Street and Federal Highway with the farsighted plan of erecting a new church, school, convent, auditorium, and rectory.
In February of 1958 Fr. Fogerty, Pastor of Our Lady of the Assumption Church, announced a Building Fund Drive to raise funds to defray the costs of construction for a new church, an eight-classroom elementary school, and a convent for ten teaching Nuns of the Congregation of the Third Order of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate.
The school opened on September 9, 1958, with Rev. Michael J. Fogerty as Pastor and Sr. M. Thelma Majer as founding Principal. The school was called Our Lady of the Assumption and was part of the Diocese of St. Augustine. Eight classrooms had been erected, seven of which were utilized immediately. The enrollment was 247 children in grades one through seven. Grade eight was added in 1959.
In October 1958, the new Diocese of Miami was formed with Coleman F. Carroll as Bishop. On May 7, 1959, Fr. Fogerty announced a change of title. Bishop Carroll decided this was an opportune time to separate Our Lady of the Assumption on A1A from Our Lady of the Assumption on 12th Street. The A1A Parish kept its title and this Parochial unit became St. Coleman Parish.